Sea/Ocean freight is one of the best ways of transporting goods around the world. It is quite safe and offers many advantages. Large size or volume of goods can be easily transported via waters in a very cost-effective manner all over the world being compliant with modern environmental policies.
It is used extensively for the transport of bulk commodities such as agri-products (rice, wheat, etc.), coal, and iron ore or for wet bulk goods such as crude oil and petroleum. Depending upon the sensitivity on time, large odd shaped goods like engines or propellers or other goods can be transported by sea.
Transportation by sea is recognised as a more environmentally friendly option compared to the other.
Some of the key benefits of ocean/sea freight include
– Most apt for a wide range of products with long lead times
– Large bulk volumes. A single, ultra-large container ship can carry over 20,000 (20ft) equivalent units (TEU)
– Most environmentally friendly among all modes of transportations
– Economical. Liner shipping is the most efficient mode of transport for large goods
– Extensive coverage across the world
– Numerous carrier options for the shippers
Ocean/sea freight is a less expensive mode of shipping goods, but the drawback is longer transit time.